Case study on training done in one of the world’s biggest automotive giant’s IT group on SAP HANA and SAP BI for their Pune (India) location. The company’s IT systems are based on SAP and has the worldwide licenses and the IT infrastructure is supposed to be scaled up based on the business needs in the changing global business environment.
The customer is one of the biggest automobile company headquartered in Germany and has worldwide presence. The company manufactures cars in small cars, mid size cars and luxury cars. The company owns three most prestigious brands and has a manufacturing plant in Chakan area near Pune in India. The company has a large IT and systems group which supports it’s worldwide IT infrastructure, supply chain and customer application. The IT group has more than 200 employees. The company has global licenses from SAP worldwide. The company has system architects , programmers, developers and network engineers based in Pune.
Automobile : Manufacturer of Cars.
SAP system implemented at the client’s end was being upgraded . This was further to be customised based on the changed business environment. The company wanted to upgrade the system in order to support the new procurement process they introduced. The modules in SAP such as HANA and BI had to be implemented. The existing workforce needed training on the new version as the new version had very few expertise available. The company had all the necessary licenses, infrastructure but didn’t have the effective person from the principal who could deliver the training in the given budget. The company was looking for a cost effective yet very impactful and customised training which was specific to their need. Most of the training programs which were available had standardised contents and hence didn’t fit the client’s requirements.
4.Purpose of Project /Business Challenge:
The training need was to map the existing business need to the IT infrastructure present. Quantum has a team of expertise and associates who have been working on the given technology and had customised as well as consulted on the given technology. Quantum’s rigorous training needs assessment which included the understanding of the problem situation, discussion with the stakeholders, understanding the implementation path and the objectives of the training program.
Quantum’s senior associate trainer studied the entire project and carried out in the following stages:
- Detailed training needs assessment by:
- Understanding the existing system.
- Existing knowledge levels of the audience.
- Understanding the expectations of stakeholders.
- Doing the gap analysis.
- Defining the agenda of the proposed program of a 5 days course.
- Designing the course outline:
- Defining the agenda.
- Customisation of the training material based on the needs.
- Designing the assignments and examples as per the client needs.
- Making the case studies .
- Training Session was conducted as per the given and agreed agenda with the customisation. The training was carried out for 5 days full time. The program was delivered by the expert trainer from Quantum. The program had 70% + hands on practical sessions . The sessions had examples of supply chain of automotive industry and mapping the business needs of the company. The program had ample opportunity for the participants to practice the new version and get themselves familiar with the future development that they were supposed to do.
How did the training program help the participants meet their objective:
6. Benefits / Business Case:
The training was successfully conducted. The feedback by participants that was given was 4.35/5.0. The program was able to clear the doubts and make the participants be productive in a week’s time which otherwise was not possible. The participants had the competency to build an application for it’s internal customer’s needs. The list of the benefits are as follows:
- Training feedback: 4.35/5.0.
- Audience Size: 20
- Quantum’s TAT in finding the right trainer : 2 business days.
- TNA and execution: 2+5 days.
- High level of customisation. 75% customised and 25% standardised content.
- 85% higher productivity.
- 20% reduction in escalations on system scalability and enhancement.
- Development application was faster by 40%.
- Cost saving by the company: 30%
The internal customers were very happy with Quantum’s indepth coverage of the training solution and was implemented effectively.